The values of the PhD program are rooted in the Aldersgate Graduate School philosophy, mission, and vision in which research and knowledge are transformed locally, nationally, and globally through the holistic methodology we provide to each candidate as a support. The over-arching and grounding framework of the Validated PhD program is the science of knowledge development .
Both local and international Faculty members engage with PhD students to create a learning environment that is accessible as well as supportive. We see you as our colleagues, and we strive to support your development as emerging scholars and future leaders. At the same time, you challenge us to consider our ideas, shaping our ongoing growth as more senior scholars in the individual discipline within the graduate school. As a graduate of this PhD program, you will be an expert in the choice of specialization that underpins our discipline; you will carry the thread of knowledge development into your own research; and, you will have command of foundational research knowledge with experience essential for beginning on your path as an accomplished scientist in your specialized discipline.
The Aldersgate Validated PhD program is based around one’s personal interests and research passions rather than any pre-set curriculum. It’s an opportunity to develop one’s own agenda and do what one find interesting every day.
On entry you must have the following:
- The normal entry requirement for a research degree is a Good degree or a Masters degree or an equivalent qualification.
- We will consider candidates with other qualifications, looking at evidence of academic ability such as published work.[Credit transfer from another Accredited University is reviewed and accepted case to case basis]
- If English is not your first language, you will need (IELTS) overall score of 6.5, with at least 6.0 in each component: reading, writing, listening and speaking (or equivalent).
APPLICANTS are to write a research proposal which should be 2-3 pages in length and which should specify:
- Aims of your research
- Statement of the original contribution to knowledge which you can expect to emerge from the Research
- Rationale for the research question(s)
- Proposed methodology and techniques for analysis
- Provisional time plan for the research
PhD students independently conduct original and significant research in a specific field or subject, before producing a publication-worthy dissertation typically 80,000-100,000 words in length.While some Doctorates include taught components, Aldersgate Validated PhD students are almost always assessed on the quality and originality of the argument presented in their independent research project thus following the Student learning cycle;
First year – Student meets with your supervisor (international partners will have assigned international supervisors) and to discuss your research proposal and agree an action plan with deadlines. Student then completes the literature review, in which the student evaluate and critique existing works to inform the direction of your project and ensure that the research will be original.
Second year – Student focus will shift to gathering results and developing the thesis, and potentially begin writing chapters of the dissertation. Student may also present results and ideas at academic conferences, gain teaching experience, collaborate with other students on similar projects, communicate the benefits of the research to the general public through workshops, lectures and presentations, or submit work for publication in an academic journal or book.
Third year - This phase primarily involves turning student thesis into a dissertation, though your primary research may still be in progress. After the supervisor gives their approval, student will submit the dissertation before undertaking a one-to-three-hour oral exam (viva voce) in which the student will discuss and defend the thesis in the presence of at least one internal and external examiner
Aldersgate will award the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or Master of Philosophy (MPhil)) to registered candidates who successfully complete approved programs of supervised research.
Duration & Delivery Methods
PhD ( Full-time) 2 years - 4 years( Part-time) 3 years- 6 years
MPhil (Full-time)1 year- 3 years (Part-time) 2 years -4 years
Political Science (Corporate Governance)
Programmes of research may be proposed in any field of study shown above provided that:
- the proposed program is capable of leading to scholarly research and to its presentation for assessment by appropriate examiners;
- the institution has the resources to provide appropriate supervision in that area of study
- the student has appropriate qualifications and/or experience to embark on such research.